Updated: Some of Harvey Weinstein’s accusers are balking at a proposed $30 million settlement of their harassment claims, which could scuttle the deal, Variety has learned.
Attorneys in the Weinstein Co. bankruptcy case told Judge Mary Walrath on Thursday that they are close to a global resolution of the civil litigation. The accusers, their lawyers and various trade creditors of the Weinstein Co. would get $30 million, while another $14 million would go to attorneys for the Weinstein Co. board members, who were defendants in several of the lawsuits. The amounts — first reported by the Wall Street Journal and confirmed by Variety — would be paid by the company’s insurers.
However, Variety has learned that other plaintiffs who were part of the negotiations are not satisfied with the proposed settlement amount. That could undercut the entire deal, if the Weinstein Co. insurers are unwilling to reach a resolution that carves out some of the lawsuits and leaves them exposed to further liability.
In a statement on Friday afternoon, attorneys Douglas Wigdor and Kevin Mintzer blasted the proposed settlement, saying it would provide millions to the Weinstein Co. board members and allow Harvey and Bob Weinstein to evade accountability. Wigdor and Mintzer represent Wedil David, who alleges that Weinstein raped her in 2016.
It started with a single tweet that actress and political activist Alyssa Milano sent into the world.
She wrote, “I don’t recognize my country anymore,” above the link to a story on a Ku Klux Klan rally planned for this weekend in Dayton, Ohio.
It didn’t take long for other Twitter users to point out to Milano, who became a TV star at 11 on Who’s the Boss?, that racism in America is nothing new.
Laura Loomer Confronts Alyssa Milano’s Ties to Sharia Law Activist Linda Sarsour
Charmed Reboot Falls Flat, Virtue Signals to Viewers About Consent, Rape Culture
Anti-Gun Alyssa Milano Had Herself Committed Because Things ‘Triggered’ Her
Alyssa Milano to Lead Star-Studded Anti-Gun Protest at NRA Convention
LIMA, Peru (AP) — A powerful magnitude 8.0 earthquake struck a remote part of the Amazon jungle in Peru early Sunday, collapsing buildings and knocking out power to some areas but causing only one reported death.
The quake struck at 2:41 a.m. and was centered in a vast nature preserve 57 miles (92 kilometers) east of the small town of Yurimaguas. Helping limit damage was the earthquake’s depth, at 70 miles (114 kilometers) below the surface, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. Earthquakes that are close to the surface generally cause more destruction.
President Martín Vizcarra called for calm before traveling to the zone with members of his cabinet to survey the damage. He said first reports indicate a bridge had collapsed and several homes and roads had been affected.
The Facebook account of an artist who turns MAGA hats into hate symbols has been disabled for violating the social media site’s “community guidelines.”
In her “MAGA Hat Collection” Maryland-based artist Kate Kretz refashions the red “Make America Great Again” hats promoted by President Donald Trump and worn by many of his supporters. She has turned them into a swastika armband and a KKK hood ( entitled “Hate Hood”) as a comment on how she views Trump’s message.
“I have been ordering MAGA hats … and then sewing them back together into traditional symbols of hatred,” Kretz wrote recently on Medium. “The works are meant to both call out wearers who claim the hats to be innocuous, and to sound the alarm that history is repeating itself.”
In a new interview, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban proposed an “update” to the Second Amendment that would protect the rights of gun owners and bolster the authority of states to dictate firearm policy within their borders.
“I would go to change the Second Amendment in ways that people probably wouldn’t expect,” says Cuban, who backed Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential election and is mulling a 2020 bid as an Independent.
The billionaire entrepreneur said the Second Amendment should first ensure that Americans can own firearms without running a risk that the government will seize their weapons.
“One, every American citizen has the right to own a gun,” Cuban says. “Two, the federal government will never be allowed to ever confiscate that gun from an individual.”
Hypocrite Anti-Trumper Mark Cuban Advises ‘Unity’ to Ocasio-Cortez
Anti-Trump Mark Cuban Avoids Fine Over Evidence of Sexual Harassment, Workplace Misconduct
Anti-Trump Cuban Knowingly Hired Domestic Abuser
Fascist Mark Cuban Plans To Use His Celebrity and Hatred of Trump For 2020
Fitness company CrossFit has left Facebook after it deleted a popular group “without warning or explanation” in a move that could indicate mounting backlash against the social media giant over privacy concerns, not to mention censorship concerns as well.
Facebook’s deletion and reinstatement of a meal plan group with 1.65 million users demonstrated to CrossFit Inc. that Facebook was abusing its “significant share of the marketplace of public thought,” according to a Thursday statement.
“CrossFit, Inc., as a voluntary user of and contributor to this marketplace, can and must remove itself from this particular manifestation of the public square when it becomes clear that such responsibilities are betrayed or reneged upon to the detriment of our community,” said CrossFit.
Not long after he reportedly agreed to send another 1,500-2,000 troops to the Middle East in yet another show of strength to combat an increasingly belligerent Iran, President Trump steamrolled Congress on Friday to approve $8 billion in arms sales to the UAE and Saudi Arabia and expedite delivery, WSJ reports.
The administration invoked a rarely used provision of American arms control laws to bypass Congress and approve the weapons sales, citing the escalating tensions with Iran as justification. WSJ’s sources said the $8 billion figure encapsulates a package of 22 separate deals.
CNN laid off almost all of its health care coverage division Tuesday, in a move the network called a “crazy rumor” less than three weeks ago.
While Dr. Sanjay Gupta is expected to keep his job, most of the rest of the division, based out of Atlanta, were released.
Fox News reported:
TVNewser, a media watchdog site started by CNN’s Brian Stelter, managed to get confirmation from the network — just in time for a Friday news dump.
“As part of the normal course of business, our newsgathering team made a small restructure earlier this week that ultimately impacts 6-7 employees within CNN’s Health Unit,” a CNN spokesperson told TVNewser’s A.J. Katz.
The left-wing extremist who was arrested on charges of attempting to provide support to a terrorist group posted on Instagram “should I bomb Trump tower?” but was not banned even as the social media giant banned several conservative commentators as “dangerous persons”.
20-year-old Jonathan Xie was arrested yesterday morning after authorities said Xie had conducted “detailed surveillance” on the Manhattan skyscraper.
Xie also allegedly wired money abroad to support Hamas, which the United States lists as a terrorist organization.
Not being the brightest, at one point Xie posted a yes/no poll on Instagram asking, “Should I bomb Trump Tower?”
John Cusack is rolling his eyes at critics, many of whom are apparent Trump supporters, who called him unpatriotic for seemingly staying seated during a military salute.
Cusack, 52, was at a Chicago Cubs game at Wrigley Field when those around him stood for the 7th-inning recognition of U.S. armed forces. Although a photo tweeted by a local news outlet shows him staying put, Cusack says he did rise — it just took him a minute.
“I stood up, just not on [cue] like an obedient pet,” he tweeted.
To another commenter, he replied, “Bulls–t. You don’t support troops more than me. I want them to come home. A–hole.”